Content Strategy and SEO – Melbourne HubSpot User Group Presentation from Damien Elsing
Last week I presented at the Melbourne Hubspot User Group meetup at Beer Deluxe in Federation Square. The presentation was all about how SEO fits in with your content strategy. The full presentation is embedded above.
Here are some of the key takeaways from my presentation about content strategy and SEO:
- SEO should be taken into account at all phases of the content creation process (planning, creating, and publishing content)
- SEO is not manipulative but is simply helping search engines understand your content so it can deliver the best results to people searching
- The most important elements of SEO are (in order) –
- inbound links (from other sites and your own pages)
- H1 tags
- Other on-page elements such as H2, body copy, image titles/descriptions/alt text
- Keyword research is not rocket science or overly technical – simply start with a hypothesis and work outwards using the (free) tools listed
- Good content doesn’t need to be innovative or original – find ideas from competitors and high ranking sites and improve on them
- Good ways to get links include local business directories, social media profiles (even if you won’t use that platform), and social sharing (particularly Google Plus and Youtube)
There was also a panel discussion during the meetup, which consisted of me, Ryan Bonnici (HubSpot’s Director of Marketing, APAC) and Tony Eades (Director of Brand Strategy at Brand Manager). Both Ryan and Tony also presented, and their presentations were very engaging and well-received. There were some great questions from the audience including questions about HubSpot, social media, and SEO.
- Attention Home Builders: Here’s How to Educate, Engage and Win Over Potential Customers - October 19, 2020
- The Best Digital Marketing Framework for High Ticket Businesses - September 14, 2020
- How to Create a Content Strategy that Works for Your Business - August 10, 2020